Sunday, October 4, 2015

Fall Storm

On Sunday I wrote answers to questions that the local newspaper had written for me.

Maanataina my chemistry teacher destroyed a coin (to be fair he just put it in a liquid, so I guess you could say the liquid destroyed it) and school ended early (I think the teachers had a thing or something). In the evening I worked with another student on spoken Finnish (adding -ks to end questions versus adding the -ko/kö) before I went to hockey. We had a scrimmage against the "Old Boys" which was fun. I don't know who won.

The next day we had regular classes except we had student council elections during psychology. We voted for people from the first grade and two people from my class were running. They both got in.

Keskiviikkona I did my presentation about women's position in Islam with my partner in Finnish. In psychology we did an activity where five people went out of the room. One person came in and they had to draw an image that we shown to us through the document camera. It was only shown for a second and then they had to draw it. Then the next person came in and we did the same thing to them but this time they saw the picture that the first person had drawn. It was like telephone but with drawing and it was fun to see how it changed over time. Hockey was in the evening and I tried to get my teammates to say thirty three.

On Thursday, I saw on Facebook a post that my host dad wrote about me moving into my second host family. It was really sweet. Then we had a fire drill in the morning. We all went out onto the fields and we lined up by our homeroom and they counted us all before we returned to our normal classes. Later that afternoon my friends taught me the Finnish body parts and then I had hockey that evening. One of my teammates got picked up from practice in a very large tractor. That's Alajärvi for ya.

Perjantaina it sprinkled in the morning and everyone was concerned about the storm that was supposed to happen in the afternoon. Classes continued as normal until last period. Everything was normal until the lights started flickering about twenty minutes before class ended and we could hear the roar of the wind outside. Ten minutes later, the lights went out and people asked if we could go home but the teacher said we had to wait until three. When I got outside, the wind was blowing hard and all of the bikes had been knocked over from the wind. It was harder to bike home since it was so windy. I noticed more cars were out than usual, probably getting supplies for the storm (there is usually a big storm in the spring and in the fall so everyone knew what to do). As I got home, I saw that the neighbor's trampoline had been blown into the forest nearby. At home, my host parents gave me a flashlight in case the power went out.

On Saturday, we headed out to my hockey game in Alajärvi. There were a few large branches that had been knocked down and maybe a tree or two that we saw on the way. We didn't win the game but I got a penalty and they had to ask me the pronunciation of my last name. Then I went home and did some coloring with my host family.














No comments:

Post a Comment