Sunday, December 27, 2015

Finnish Christmas

Winter break is coming! But first I've got to finish exam week...

My week started out with studying for the next day's test. Then on Monday I took my chemistry test (all in Finnish may I add). Since so many people had signed up for that class, it been divided into two groups. On testing day, we all took the test at the same time since it was the same class. The room had thirty people and was very full. This is very unusual in Finnish schools since classes sizes are never more then thirty people, unlike in America where they are always more than thirty students. Anyway, the test went okay even though it was all in Finnish. Then in the afternoon I had rehearsal for the middle school's Christmas performance.

On Tuesday, I was supposed to have an English test, but my English teacher said I didn't have to take it so I could go to the Christmas performance. He was going to so he got another teacher to supervise the test for him. The Christmas performance in the middle school started a little after eight in the morning and ended at nine thirty. We were one of the first groups to perform and I thought it went well. After it had ended, I helped clean up the instruments and chairs. Outside there were lots of people waiting for the buses since you can leave from your test at nine thirty in the high school. Because it was the last day of testing, that means no review and you can go home. The middle schoolers didn't have school after the Christmas performance, so many people were waiting for the buses to come and bring them home. After we finished cleaning, we had some coffee and deserts in the school cafeteria before we headed home for the day.

Wednesday was my first day of winter break! We went Christmas shopping for some last minute gifts, got some ice cream, went to my first host family's house where I gave them their school books that I had been borrowing for the grading period and grabbed the books for the new grading period as well as give my third host family some gifts I had from Minnesota. Lennu (my first host family's dog) has grown quite a lot and is now a very large dog, almost as big as my first host family's other dog Jalo.

Then on Thursday Christmas Eve came. Just to let the people that don't know know, Christmas Eve is when the Fins celebrate their Christmas. First we went to sauna at their cabin. Then we went to the cemetery and placed candles at their family member's graves. We returned home for a traditional Finnish Christmas dinner which consisted of a large ham, potatoes, salad and bread. They had started cooking the ham the night before it was so large. My first host family came over and then Santa did. He handed out presents from a sack to all of us and we took some pictures and talked with him for a little while before he headed out. Then we opened our presents. I got Finnish candy and American candy (which my grandma had sent me) as well as some Finnish things from my parents. My favorite gift was from my second host family saying that I can pick a professional hockey game and they will take me to it in January. Then we had some deserts and coffee. I taught my younger host sister how to make bracelets on her new bracelet maker since the instructions were all in English.

Yesterday, I started working on applications for PSEO in America as I need to complete them while I am here in Finland as well as make thank you cards for the Christmas presents I received.

Today I worked some more on things for America and I wrote thank you notes for all of my Christmas gifts. In the evening I made taco salad for dinner for my host family. They liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment