Sunday, June 10, 2018

Long Time No See

On Friday, Emilia had laser eye surgery in Seinäjoki so that she no longer needs to use glasses. She wants to be a police officer and she doesn't like contacts, so she decided that this was the way to go.

Because of that, we took the hour long drive down to Seinäjoki for her surgery. Emilia and her dad dropped me off at the train station because I was going to meet a friend there. However, we were there an hour early, so I went and walked around downtown Seinäjoki for a little bit before heading back to the train station. With my giant Finnish flag wrapped around me, I patiently waited for a familiar face to appear out of the crowd of people getting off the train from Tampere. And then I saw him. Jeran Paris, an old friend of mine. Jeran is an American who had been on exchange with Rotary in Forssa, Finland while I was on exchange in Finland. He is also visiting Finland this June and so we arranged to meet up. He was nice enough to take the journey from Forssa all the way up to Seinäjoki. It was really nice to see him after two years and catch up.

First, we went out to lunch at the pizza buffet which I had been to once with my Finnish hockey team when we had a hockey game in Seinäjoki and which was one of the places that my Australian friend Lydia, who was on exchange in Seinäjoki when I was in Alajärvi, suggested. Then, we got some free stuff from an electronics store because we spun a wheel. After that, we walked a bit around Seinäjoki. I got us a little lost, but after seeing the Lakeuden Risti we made our way to the Seinäjoki library. There, we sat in one of the cozy reading places in the wall of the library (they are actually in the walls - look it up) and talked. It was nice to know that I was not the only one who absolutely loves the main Seinäjoki library. We eventually had to head back to the train station where I bid Jeran farewell for now as he heads off to another week in Finland before heading off to Spain and Mexico, which I am definitely jealous of.

Just as I said goodbye to Jeran, Emilia called and let me know that she was ready. I walked to the Seinäjoki Silmäasema from the train station and then we all headed back. We stopped by Alajärvi where we got Parmesan cheese, milk and ice cream before we headed back home. That evening, Emilia's brother and I, Matias made some bow tie hot dish, or something like it, and it turned out pretty well for it being my first time making it on my own.

The day after Emilia's surgery (Saturday), we had a pretty chill day since Emilia couldn't really do much. We went to her mom's house and had lunch before we returned home and played cards. That evening we went out for a walk in the woods by Emilia's house (they are literally right next to her house) to get outside. Aside from the mosquitoes it was nice to get out and about. Then, Pauliina, one of my friends that I went to class with when I was on exchange, stopped by for a bit and we made letut, Finnish pancakes. Then Emmi came by for a visit with her dog and I gave her some more last pieces of advice and said goodbye before she heads off to the US in just a couple of days.

And now here I am, writing this blog post. Thinking about the many hellos and goodbyes that have been said between friends within the space of a couple of days. Thinking about how lucky I am to have such wonderful friends and that I have the opportunity to visit them and see them again.

Hanging out with Jeran, someone else who went through the exchange experience in Finland at the same time that I did, was something that I've definitely missed. Don't get me wrong, I love my fellow Rotex and rebounds in Minnesota - they're really awesome - but it was really nice to talk to a fellow American about Finland, Finns and our exchange experience. I'm really lucky to have a group of people back in Minnesota that I can talk to about being an exchange student that really get it and that I am able to give advice to inbounds and outbounds alike about being an exchange student. Honestly, I love it and I think it is great, after all, that's why I dedicate so much of my time to it. However, being the only Rotex that went to Finland can get a little lonely sometimes and so being with Jeran and talking about Finland in a way that only we get was refreshing and made very happy.

It also made me think about how lucky I am. Coming back to Minnesota from Finland provided me with opportunities that not many rebounds from Finland can easily get. Being in Minnesota allowed me to be involved in a very strong Rotex program and give back to the organization that helped me get to where I am today. It allowed me to take Finnish courses and go to Finnish conversation hour to retain my Finnish. It allowed me to get involved with the Finnish American community in Minnesota and find other people like me that have such a passion for Finland. Most rebounds aren't that lucky. Most rebounds don't get the kinds of opportunities that I did. But at the same time, I have to remember that I sought out those opportunities and made the most of them. I put myself out there and took advantage of the opportunities that were out there for me. I just had to find them.

In short, I really enjoyed hanging out with Jeran not only because Jeran's awesome and we had a fun day in Seinäjoki, but also because our time together made me reflect and for that I am grateful. Although it may not seem like it now, this summer will be short and soon enough I will be back in Minnesota. Once I back there, I plan to continue to continue to take advantage of the many wonderful opportunities that I have been lucky enough to receive and worked hard to find.

1 comment: