Sunday, August 23, 2015

First Full Week in School

School has kicked into full gear. I busy with my full schedule (as seen to the left). Luckily my math class is only a half class so I get to come to school later on Mondays and Wednesdays. :)

What am I doing in school? Well...
In music class here in Finland we don't play like in a band or an orchestra like in America. Instead, it is like a basic music class where we learn the basics of music and play instruments like guitar, piano, bass, percussion or we sing. In math class, we do math, It is a review course and I have done a lot of the stuff before. It isn't too hard. Understand the Finnish part of the question, now that is a bit trickier. Philosophy is hard to understand in Finnish, but my teacher gave me some materials in English that she found online so I could understand what was going on. English is very fun. I am "a walking dictionary" so it's fun when we talk about different words because I get to offer insight. In history class, we have been learning about ancient history, most of which I have learned before so I was able to kind of follow along. In mother tongue, we have been taking notes on about language and learning about language and how it influences people.

What am I doing outside of school?
This week I went to my first Rotary meeting where I gave them the St. Paul Rotary flag and I received theirs. We had a nice meal before I talked some about myself before we headed out.

I am also going to practice with my hockey team. We have practice three times a week and on two out of the three practices, we play soccer for a while and then we go practice on the ice.

However, this week practice was cancelled on Thursday because of a pesäpallo game. I biked there and met up with some of my friends to cheer on the Alajärven Ankkurit. Sadly, they lost, but it was still pretty fun. It was especially very fun to watch the kids go out at "half time" and throw around balls with each other using their caps as gloves.

The first picture to the left is a picture of a member from the Ankkurit preparing to hit the ball.

The second picture on the left is picture from before the game even started. It is how they determine who does what first. Instead of flipping a coin, one player places their hand somewhere on the bat. The other player places their hand right on top of theirs. Whoever ends up at the top gets "wins" (it would be equivalent to your chosen side of a coin being flipped).

No comments:

Post a Comment