Sunday, August 30, 2015

First Finnish Hockey Srimmage

On Sunday I had my first hockey scrimmage! It was really fun even though we lost really badly (0-20). My host family came and watched me. To the left is a picture they took and that little face is my youngest host sister Malla. She will be turning five in November.

Then I had school. I played instruments in music class, did math in math class, learned philosophical theories in philosophy class, learned English in English class (we had a grammar day on Monday and it was fun to learn grammar about my own language), I learned about Ancient Greece in history class (we had to make a PowerPoint Presentation and then present it. I wrote my notes in English and had my host family help me translate them, I read the translated sentences aloud and everyone was very impressed and complemented me for days), and in mother tongue, I worked on learning Finnish.

I had hockey practice of course, but I skipped one of them because my host family was driving to Jyväskylä to pick up their new puppy. I came along and we drove for two hours before we arrived. Once we arrived, we went and picked up the new puppy before driving back for another two hours.

The puppy's name is Lennu. A picture of him and Malla are on the left. For the first night at home, he whimpered when he was left alone, so my host mom had to stay with him all night and she didn't get much sleep, He has gotten better ever since, but the first few days were rough for him.

Now they are trying to train him. He likes to chew things and can be very energetic. My host dad is building a dog house for him right now (if you look behind Mall in the second picture, there are wooden posts for the dog house). It is going to be very big. I am very excited to see how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment